miércoles, 18 de mayo de 2022

YOUR SPANISH-STYLE GOODBYE

 This is my third batch of misheard lyrics, opening on that summery banger La Isla Bonita. Of course I (as a native Spaniard) know the title and main verse means "the Pretty Island," but, not knowing the lyrics and without any access to search browsers at home as a teen, the Anglophone lyrics lent themselves to some pretty obvious mishearings, some of them having to do with Disney's edulcorated Little Mermaid!


1: Just like a lover gone, I knew the song / a young girl which I called Vanessa

La Isla Bonita, Madonna & Patrick Leonard ft. Bruce Gaitsch

Just like I'd never gone, I knew the song,
a young girl with eyes like the desert

Misheard as:

Just like a lover gone, I knew the song,
a young girl which I called Vanessa

Why?

I had not got the lyrics at my disposal and I thought of Ariel the little mermaid turned human when her prince Eric leaves her, in the animated film (a far cry from the bittersweet literary fairytales) for the human princess bride, who in the film goes by the name Vanessa and is the seawitch in human form with Ariel's wrested voice. "A lover gone" for a " young girl which I call Vanessa!"


2: Your Spanish-style goodbye

La Isla Bonita, Madonna & Patrick Leonard ft. Bruce Gaitsch

Your Spanish lullaby

Misheard as:

Your Spanish-style goodbye

Why?

I had not got the lyrics at my disposal and I still had the Hollywood image of Eric and Ariel on my mind...


3: Beautiful faces, no kiss in this world

La Isla Bonita, Madonna & Patrick Leonard ft. Bruce Gaitsch

Beautiful faces, no cares in this world
Where a girl loves a boy, and a boy...

loves a girl

Misheard as:

Beautiful faces, no kiss in this world
Where a girl loves a boy, and a boy... 

loves a girl

Why?

If this truly is a Xanadu isolated from the postindustrial outside, there would be probably no bodily exploration of youth beyond sensuality. Also, I had not got the lyrics at my disposal and the way she pronounced the -are- in "cares" was more like a single /i/...






No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario