martes, 23 de julio de 2024

A SUNNY MORNING

 A SUNNY MORNING

A Swedish Summer Idyl by Evert Taube

Translated from the Swedish by Sandra Dermark

on the 23rd of July MMXXIV

********************

The sails flutter in ocean breeze against the pier,

around the masts the squawking of seagulls you can hear...

The air's scented of rowan, flowers bloom in the glen...

It is a sunny morning in Northern Bohuslän!

It is a sunny morning in Northern Bohuslän!

******************

A maiden with a bucket we in the woods hear sing...

She's going forth alone to fetch water from the spring...

She hears a young captain's call: "Why are you so divine?"

SHE: "I only drink spring water, no spirits, beer, or wine!"

"I only drink spring water, no spirits, beer, or wine!"

*****************

HE: "Come here my little maiden, my darling, get on board!

You'll learn all knots and sailing terms on our own accord!

What can on terra firma a maiden like you learn?

You'll know who is my ladylove, to whom I shall return!"

"You'll know who is my ladylove, to whom I shall return!"

***************

SHE: "I know and everyone so, don't fool me come what may,

I know down south in Marstrand town, there lives your fiancée.

She sits always in front of a typewriter, on her own,

and if you wish to call her, well, here there is a phone!"

"and if you wish to call her, well, here there is a phone!"

****************

HE: "How could you be so foolish, really, my little maid,

believe I'm setting southward course for Marstrand, have I said?

Then you're, in truth, a fool, Miss, for this whole island knows

the name of my true ladylove to whom my heart life owes!"

"the name of my true ladylove to whom my heart life owes!"

******************

HE: "Who could it be? Riddle me this, whom I'd give a ring?

The maiden who went out for water to the woodland spring!

And if she from her bucket should give me the first drink,

the nectar of the gods would even be worse, I would think!"

"the nectar of the gods would even be worse, I would think!"

*****************

SHE: "I know no one better than you, so that drink you'll receive...

but tell me whither you are sailing and don't me deceive!"

HE: "Well, this boat's setting straight course for the port of I Do,

and that is why I have come here, my true ladylove to woo!"

"and that is why I have come here, my true ladylove to woo!"

****************

The maiden who went out for water with a song to sing

saw suddenly the captain to terra firma spring.

HE: "I'm burning on the inside, but I must kiss you first,

and if I did not kiss you now, I'd die of heat and thirst!"

"and if I did not kiss you now, I'd die of heat and thirst!"

********************

It was in the green forest, by the bridge her feet got wet,

where the maid with the bucket the thirsty captain met...

He kisses her still with the same passion he kissed then:

such heat and thirst give maidens in Northern Bohuslän!

such heat and thirst give maidens in Northern Bohuslän!




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario