miércoles, 17 de abril de 2024

THEY DIDN'T THINK (Victorian fable)

 THEY DIDN'T THINK


ONCE a trap was baited
 With a piece of cheese;
It tickled so a little mouse
⁠It almost made him sneeze;
An old rat said, "There's danger,
⁠Be careful where you go!"
"Nonsense!" said the other,
⁠"I don't think you know!"


So he walked in boldly—
⁠Nobody in sight;
First he took a nibble,
⁠Then he took a bite;
Close the trap together
⁠Snapped as quick as wink,
Catching Mousey fast there,
⁠'Cause he didn't think.


Once a little turkey,
⁠Fond of her own way,
Wouldn't ask the old ones
​⁠Where to go or stay;
She said, "I'm not a baby,
⁠Here I am half-grown;
Surely I am big enough
⁠To run about alone!"


Off she went, but somebody
⁠Hiding saw her pass;
Soon like snow her feathers
⁠Covered all the grass,
So she made a supper
⁠For a sly young mink,
'Cause she was so headstrong
⁠That she wouldn't think.


Once there was a robin.
⁠Lived outside the door.
Who wanted to go inside
⁠And hop upon the floor.
"Oh, no," said the mother,
⁠"You must stay with me;
Little birds are safest
⁠Sitting in a tree."


"I don't care," said Robin,
⁠And gave his tail a fling,
"I don't think the old folks
⁠Know quite everything."
​Down he flew, and Kitty seized him
⁠Before he'd time to blink
"Oh," he cried, "I'm sorry,
⁠But I didn't think."


Now, my little children,
⁠You who read this song,
Don't you see what trouble
⁠Comes of thinking wrong?
And can't you take a warning
⁠From their dreadful fate,
Who began their thinking
⁠When it was too late?


Don't think there's always safety
⁠Where no danger shows,
Don't suppose you know more
⁠Than anybody knows;
But when you're warned of ruin,
⁠Pause upon the brink,
And don't go under headlong
⁠'Cause you didn't Think.

(Phœbe Cary.)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario