domingo, 14 de marzo de 2021

AT LAST MANGA CLASSIC OTHELLO IS COMING!!!

And not only that, the characters by Julien Choy are gorgeous...compare to Ryuta Osada or Nemanja Filipovic designs or my own mental images of the charas (all of them elsewhere on this blog), for Desdemona and Cassio and Emilia look just as they did in my mind's eye more or less, AND IAGO LOOKS DOWNRIGHT AND OUTRIGHT PSYCHO ON THE COVERS... Observe the master of the strings!!








All right, this is a fanart made with a dollmaker of the cast of Othello as I saw them in a dream, and this is how I saw them in my mind's eye until now...
Left to right: Bianca, Cassio, Othello, Desdemona, Emilia, Iago, and Roderigo.



I mean, I have nothing against blond Iagos or Roderigos -the latter always looks like Snape or Pushkin dressed as a fop in my mind's eye- but the shonen hero hairdo like Bakugo or Goku in Choy's depiction contrasts very nicely with the Snape face in Roddy's case - I think he's wearing a wig to look tougher...


I have nothing either against Bianca being made a ginger by Choy -I mean Des is blonde and Em is dark as they have always looked in my mind's eye, so they had to complete the trifecta- and her expression here looks just as kissed by fire as her hair. A textbook tsundere.

I also luved Choy's design of Cassio, different from Osada's shota boy and Filipovic's Rule 63:d Snow White and far closer to my own depiction of the faithful lieutenant. I can't wait to see him hand-kissing, getting wasted, and getting crippled. Just for the fun of it. I also love how the layout of this page placed him in the centre of the dramatis personae, as the sole survivor and the one caught in the crossfire.

I also want to see more Iagothello dynamics, especially here when you have basically Jason Momoa against a blond Raito Yagami (the latter without the deathnote). Just consider Choy's Othello being a towering man with rippling limbs and scars on his face from years of battle - he looks like a veteran warrior who has always been surrounded by the din of battle and is completely new to peace and domestic life. This portrayal with this battle-scarred face makes the character both believable and quite scary when he turns to the dark side, as well as contrasting with the petite, smooth-skinned, fragile-looking, golden-haired Desdemona and Iago in this version - the former warm and kind and the latter icy and ruthless, but both equally fair of hair and skin, and competing for the general's favour.

Hats off for Julien Choy and I cannot wait for this to be released in Spain (if the Science Fiction Bookshops in Sweden don't get some issues of this treasured book)...


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario