domingo, 22 de abril de 2018

THE KOUHAI: AN UNEXPECTED REVOLUTION

Here's a little Hobbit trailer parody/Les Mis fusion, inspired by the fact that Marius is the only one of the Friends who lives to tell the tale; just like Bilbo. <3 Isn't it a bittersweet comparison?

THE KOUHAI: AN UNEXPECTED REVOLUTION

(Fiftyish Marius and Cosette, still pretty much in love, walking hand in hand in their estate garden in November, one cloudy day)
50-ISH MARIUS: My dear Cosette... You asked me once if I have told you everything there was to know about my adventures.
(Cosette smiles and nods, in silence)
50-ISH MARIUS (holding his wife's hand): And, while I can honestly say I have told you the truth, I may not have told you all of it...
(Flashback to a twentyish Marius, decades before, reading alone in a lecture hall after class)
(A wild Courf appears!)
COURFEYRAC (popping from out the door): Marius Pontmercy...
(Marius, startled, shuts his book and looks at Courf)
COURFEYRAC: I'm looking for someone to share in a revolution...
(Outside the faculty, walking through the streets of Paris on their way home one sunny late afternoon in springtime)
20-ISH MARIUS: I can't just go running off into the fray. Wait! I am a Pontmercy... and a Gillenormand!
(Both young men enter the Café Musain and pass by the counter and through the long corridor into the backroom, Courf dragging Marius into their little den, all the way, against his will)
COURFEYRAC: Marius... allow me to introduce... (As Courf introduces the rest of the Friends, each and every one of them in turn reach out to Marius)... Joly, Feuilly, Lesgle, Bahorel, Prouvaire, Grantaire, Combeferre... and the leader of our secret society... Enjolras.
(After Enj is introduced, we see that Marius has joined the group at the tables)
ENJOLRAS: Allons enfants de la patrie... le jour de gloire est arrivé... Contre nous de la tyrannie... l'étendard sanglant est levé... entendez-vous dans nos campagnes mugir ces féroces soldats?
(As Enj sings, we see scenes of engagements to come during the revolution)
ENJOLRAS: I cannot guarantee his safety.
COURFEYRAC: Understood...
ENJOLRAS: Nor will I be responsible for his fate...
(Epic instrumental La Marseillaise refrain, to more scenes of the Friends hanging out, after-class shenanigans...)
COURFEYRAC: You'll have a tale or two to tell when tomorrow comes...
20-ISH MARIUS: Can you promise that I will see tomorrow come?
COURFEYRAC (smiling): No. And, if you do... (Cut to twilit silhouettes of the Thénardiers and Éponine in a shady street corner...) you will not be the same.

(Title card)
The KOUHAI
AN UNEXPECTED REVOLUTION

20-ISH MARIUS (offscreen): My name... is Marius Pontmercy.
SGT. THÉNARDIER (in the shade, pronouncing it the English way to rhyme with "mercy"): Pontmercy...?
MME. THÉNARDIER (in the shade, pronouncing it the English way to rhyme with "mercy"): Wot is a Pontmercy?
SGT. THÉNARDIER (in the shade): Preciousssss...







No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario