domingo, 17 de junio de 2018

THE CHICK'S MISTAKE


A little chick one day
⁠Asked leave to go on the water,
Where she saw a duck and her brood at play,
⁠Swimming and splashing about her.

Indeed she began to peep and cry
⁠When her mother wouldn't let her;
"If the ducks can swim there, why can't I?
⁠Are they any bigger or better?"

Then the old hen answered: "Listen to me,
⁠And hush your foolish talking;
Just look at your feet and you will see
⁠They were only made for walking."


"'IF THE DUCKS CAN SWIM THERE, WHY CAN'T I?'"
—Page 310
But chicky wistfully eyed the brook
⁠And didn't half believe her,
For she seemed to say, by a knowing look,
⁠Such stories couldn't deceive her.

And as her mother was scratching the ground,
⁠She muttered, lower and lower,
"I know I can go there and not be drowned,
⁠And so, I think, I'll show her."

Then she made a plunge where the stream was deep,
⁠And saw, too late, her blunder,
For she had hardly time to peep;
⁠When her foolish head went under.

And now I hope her fate will show
⁠The child my story reading,
That those that are older sometimes know
⁠What you will do well in heeding;

That each content in their place should dwell,
⁠And envy not their brother;
For any part that is acted well,
⁠Is just as good as another.

For we all have our proper sphere below,
⁠And this is a truth worth knowing:
You will come to grief if you try to go
⁠Where you were never made for going.
(Phœbe Cary.)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario