sábado, 16 de febrero de 2013

MY STYLE 1: INFLUENCES


From on now, I will start a series of posts about my own personal style when it comes to historical and fantasy short stories.  I have cultivated the genre since 2009, and I have written more than ten original tales (not to mention fandom and translation), set between the Thirty Years' War and the 1848 revolutions.
When it comes to detailing the influences I have received, I must mention Hans Christian Andersen, William Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Voltaire, and Julio Cortázar as my masters. As for authors not in the public domain, I would like to mention YA authors of the 00s who went for a retraux feel and experimental literature, such as Lemony Snicket and Philip Pullman.
Sometimes, I retell plots by other authors in the public domain: Chaucer's Knight's Tale transposed to eighteenth-century Prussia, or "magical flight" folktales, featuring active and dynamic heroines, between Czarist Russia and 1710s Sweden.
In some of my stories, the influence of one author is more patent than that of the rest."The Story of Katinka" reads without much detail, quickly, like a folktale. On the other hand, more Andersenian attention to detail is paid in "Les Enfants de la Patrie". "Kristina's Decision" has the rhythm of a French chanson and Dickens's characters' quirks and psychological depths reflected in the heroine.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario